To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2007 8:15 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] DVD video to iPod

Tom Fine wrote:
Hi Rod:

This is a good Plan B for sure. But I already recorded the video to a DVD, so I just want to "rip" the DVD onto my hard drive and then convert to iPod video with Quicktime.

Just out of curiosity -- why aren't there a gizillion pieces of software to do this? Is it all because of Hollywood user-hostile copy restrictions? Are those restrictions placed on a DVD I record in my JVC machine? If so, is there a way I can turn them off? Sorry, showing glaring ignorance about the DVD format. I usually work in audio only.

-- Tom Fine

There are plenty of programs - free, shareware and conventional - to rip DVD to various formats. However, iPod video is relatively new, saddled with DRM, and otherwise not a favorite on a Wintel box.

No doubt it will be included soon. For now, you may want to rip to another format and convert with a program such as AVOne. By filing the intermediate form, you will not have to reconvert if you want to put the video into another format. (Rip to DivX AVI for example, but convert to MPEG1 if you cannot easily burn a VCD from DivX.)

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/