[ARSCLIST] Preservation Standard for Sound Recordings?

(Apologies for cross-postings of this question)

I would be interested in hearing from colleagues who work with or are
otherwise familiar with preservation of sound collections.

We are reformatting a sound collection, for improved access and long
term preservation.  I was wondering if there is an industry standard for
the preservation component.   Would CD ever be considered adequate?  Or
is the best practice still to convert to reel?  Or some other media?
What do you do at your institutions?

If this helps, we do not have a lot of sound in our collection, and
therefore would not be in a position to set up something that involves a
lot of up-front work or that makes sense for a high volume.

Thanks in advance,

Deena Schwimmer

Deena Schwimmer

Associate Archivist