Re: [ARSCLIST] Columbia Harmonies

What is it about those early Columbia LP test pressings? I have some VERY early ones, probably c. 1947 because the label copy shows the original 78 album numbers instead of the (not yet assigned) LP catalog numbers, and they're great. Must be the 3-stage process instead of the 5-stage.

dl

Roger and Allison Kulp wrote:
I agree I have one Harmony each from Weingartner,and Rodzinsy,and they both suck.The best Weingartners I have heard are the 1950-51 US Columbia test pressings I have.

Roger

David Lennick <dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Eric Goldberg wrote:
HL 7173 Haydn Trumpet Concerto,Herbert Braeuing soloist,Mozart Bassoon Concerto,K. 191,Horst Winter,soloist,Handel Oboe Concerto No.1,Frederich Plath,soloist Carl Bamberger/Frankfurt Chamber Orchestra.

GERD HEUDGER conducts the Handel Concerto

Also, I have a Symphonie Fantastique (HL7220) with LeConte and the Paris Opera Orchestra
and a Ravel (Daphnis No. 2, Pavanne) Debussy (La Mer) (HL7203) with the same artists.

Eric Goldberg
Know something? I've never seen ANY of these. Probably not issued in Canada. Odd..Camden, Richmond and the other budget labels were pretty complete up here even to the newer classical recordings (including Lion, which was pressed on linoleum but which had some interesting Soviet material) but the only Harmony classical issues I ever see are Weingartner and Rodzinski, in unlistenable transfers (equalized for $50 HiFi players). The Hess might have been pressed up here as well.

dl

It's here! Your new message!