Re: [ARSCLIST] Columbia Harmony was: Met Opera Record Club

Don Tait wrote:

Regarding Roger's message/inquiry about Harmony LPs: the two Leinsdorf/Rochester Philharmonic records to which he refers (HL 7054, Mozart/Schubert; HL 7171, Haydn/Mendelssohn) were first issued on Entre, Columbia's circa 1953 medium-priced label. There were no full-priced Columbia releases. I'm sorry that I don't have the Entre numbers at hand.

The original 1954 Entré RL 3112 "Sing Noël" release of choral music by my University of Redlands (California) choir was reissued on Harmony HL 7141 "Choral Christmas" in 1958 with four fewer tracks than in the original, and of course, for less money (cheapo re-release). Along with that, there had been two Columbia Masterworks releases of the choir, "Hymns and Anthems" ML 4866 in 1954, and "God Be with You" ML 5370 in 1959. The final release by the Columbia organization was the 1963 Epic release, "A Christmas Festival" BC 1271.

We've written CBS/Sony to see what kind of deal was made back then (the University doesn't seem to have any paperwork on the contract), since we have the original master tapes and would like to remaster the albums for fund raising purposes, but no answer as yet. I would think the fact that the tracks had already been issued on private University LPs prior to the Columbia commercial issues should have some bearing on it. We're still waiting to hear.

Rod Stephens, a '58 grad

The Leinsdorf/Rochester series on Entre contained more records, including a highly-praised Beethoven Eroica. I own one and must say that it's an excellent performance.

Roger's post contained information about a lot of Harmony LPs I knew nothing about. Thanks.

The Dame Myra Hess Schubert recordings, by the way, were recorded around 1928 for Columbia's "Schubert Centennial" observation.

Don Tait

See what's free at http://www.aol.com.