[ARSCLIST] Stereo--was: Slides and inconvenient media (was spin it again)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Cox" <doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> It is odd that "stereo" for images means having depth, from near to far,
> while "stereo" for audio means having width. All visual images have width,
> while few audio recordings have depth.

In both cases, since we humans come from the "factory" with dual ears
and dual eyes, "stereo" means providing an approximation of what the
ears/eyes would/should have received.

In the case of vision (images), this is not too difficult to obtain...
but is often VERY difficult to transmit to the observer. OTOH, for
hearing (sounds), it is quite easy to transmit to the observer...
but very difficult to obtain accurately, since we don't have a full
and totally accurate understanding of the characteristics our brains
use to convert sound into location data!