Re: [ARSCLIST] destruction of CDs

I have one I got at Target that has a disk slot. It actually does shred
the disk completely. I was about $40 US.

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Miriam Meislik
Sent: Friday, April 06, 2007 9:44 AM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] destruction of CDs

I have a paper shredder with a disk slot. All it does is make an all
over patterned imprint across the disk.  It is totally unreadable.  The
shredder was about $50 or so at the office supply store.

Miriam

Mike Richter wrote:

> Trey Bunn wrote:
>
>> This may be an odd question considering that it's pretty much the
>> opposite of what most of us normally do, but I was wondering if
>> anyone had any tips on how to destroy a CD-R.
>

>> Any thoughts?  And no, before anyone thinks I have a CD full of super

>> secret scary government files or something, don't worry.
>

> Scribe radially through the acrylic lacquer on top of the disc. One or

> two slashes that disturb the metallic layer will be quite enough.
> Forensic experts might be able to piece the fragments of sectors
> together again, but ordinary tools will not suffice. The directory
> (innermost written area) will not make sense to any standard player so

> even the filenames will be lost.
>
> Breaking the disc is both difficult and dangerous. Microwaving is
> spectacular but slow and potentially harmful both in its effect and to

> the maser. I'm told that there are heavy-duty paper shredders which
> can handle CDs, but an Xacto knife used as above suffices for me.
>
> Mike

Miriam Meislik
Media Curator
Archives of Industrial Society
University of Pittsburgh
7500 Thomas Blvd.
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
(412)244-7075    voice
(412)244-7077    fax
miriam@xxxxxxxx

http://www.library.pitt.edu/libraries/archives/archives.html
http://digital.library.pitt.edu/pittsburgh/index.html

When your mouth drops open, click the shutter.
--Harold Feinstein, November 11, 2001