Re: [ARSCLIST] (dream) restoration phono preamp opinions wanted

I don't have one but know a few semi-pros using the Canon LiDE 600F to good
effect. For the price it's unbeatable.

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Steven Smolian
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2007 12:21 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] (dream) restoration phono preamp opinions wanted

I've been working some from mono LPs to master to CD.  In my experience,
accurate recording/playback eq is imprecise at best, and, quite frequently,
imaginary.  Further eq is always needed.

I've encountered a specific situation where I've had three issues of a
Period LP, all mastered before 1959, each with its own eq.  One was early,
probably Columbia, c. 1951, for which I used the LP setting. Another,
mastered by RCA with the type in 1954 in small block letters and numbers,
used NAB,  a third, using the same RCA matrix number but handwritten, fell
in the cracks somewhere. I used RIAA and adjusted a whole lot with an
equalizer.

Tube equipment has hum- it's genetic!  It should be removed during the
restoration process.  If you prefer your finished audio with tube sound, ok.

But don't plead accuracy.  You are deliberately including non-musical noise.

In short- you know the answer.  Listening.

Steve Smolian