Re: [ARSCLIST] RIAA phono EQ and Neumann time constant

I have worked in studios for, oh, 30+ odd years one way or another. I
saw MANY times +/- 2db in response from tape itself more times than I
care to think about. (in a single tape batch). Unless you worked or
owned a facility that aligned for every single session, every single
day, the taped results were 'variable', to say the least. (I was in such
a place, BTW) I remember dealing with Phil 'R' one day when he brought
some tapes down to Criteria cr. 1980 from NYC. I found that the 'head
height' of the tapes he brought from his last studio were wrong,
indicating a physical alignment problem on the machine that made them in
N.Y., or perhaps a slitting issue. (not in this case though)  I ask him
if he wanted me to alter our head alignment (as in this session only) to
agree with the recordings he had brought. We would willing have done
this, it wasn't a dig, the only thing that mattered was the music. He
was FURIOUS with the NY studio when I 'developed' his tape with spray
developer and showed it to him. The difference was not just level, it
was azimuth, variable tape path, and noise issues, which he got without
further explanations. A very bright person.

Yes, there are a Huge number of variables in tape or any recording
system. That said, I fall on the side of finding every single variable
you CAN control, and doing so. I am more than a bit aware that tapes
without 'tones' were more than poor practice, they leave everything to
chance. The variables are endless. Richard (IMHO !!) is well qualified
to do well with these. I guess the point of this rant is that we should
ALWAYS minimize the variables we can in any transfer, then never forget
that we ARE likely the ones that a future generation will use to judge
the music of the (recent ?) past. I saw too many times an engineer (or
me !) could indeed tell and judge a 1 db (or less) difference in R/P of
a reproduction, in a completely blind test. Heaven knows, I was prepared
to discount this sort of thing, but it was just too consistently  proved
to me.

Mind you, yes, those with the $1000 speaker cables make me laugh... They
just didn't get the chain that the recordings were made and monitored
through were not like theirs, the 'difference' they heard was just that,
a difference, and did NOT make 'their' playback more accurate than
someone else's. It just made it different. When is the mix that 'they'
made back then through their monitor and mixing chain less the image of
what they mixed and aimed for ??

Scott Phillips