Re: [ARSCLIST] RIAA phono EQ and Neumann time constant

At 03:25 PM 2007-04-01, Eric Jacobs wrote:
Having a good understanding of the minimum error in the disc cutting
system (ie. just how flat a frequency response could be achieved, and
how accurate are the test discs used to calibrate the cutting systems)
will help make specifying minimum RIAA accuracy for reproduction less
arbitrary.  If disc cutting systems were accurate to 0.1 dB of RIAA
from 20 to 20 kHz when properly set up, then I think the Neumann
constant is worth looking into more deeply.  If disc cutting systems
were accurate to 1 dB of RIAA, then the Neumann time constant is a far
smaller consideration.

I do believe it is a slippery slope to say that just because there are
many other elements in the reproduction chain that introduce far
bigger errors, we should ignore the potential influence of the Neumann
time constant - especially if the Neumann time constant could be easily
compensated for.

Hello, Eric,

I believe that we will be very lucky to be holding +/- 1dB from 20 to 20 kHz with the tape component--in fact, holding +/- 1 dB from 50 to 15 kHz across the board would have been quite excellent. In just ten tapes from a major broadcaster known for their quality, I saw one tape way outside +/- 1 dB at 15 kHz and each session varied within the range while tapes from the same session were very close. These were 15 in/s tapes.

While that begs the issue of direct-to-disc recordings, I would suggest that the vast majority of recordings made from perhaps 1950 until the end of the LP era were made via tape.

Yes, it's a slippery slope and that's why I suggested that you contribute an article about this to my blog where we can document all of these little gotchas. It doesn't have to be long, but I will set up a separate topic as I plan to add more tape ones in the future -- or if you write it on your own website, I'll make a note of it and link to it.

And oh, the chemistry issues. Tapes, like the plumbing in "The Money Pit", are not getting better with age.

Cheers,

Richard