Re: [ARSCLIST] Magnetic tape viewers...

Mike,

Kyread does work quite well, but it also suffers from sensitivity issues.

The Japanese credit-card-size viewer lasts longest if kept cold, but it does not require a humidor. They have no desire to make a smaller, lest costly one. I don't think I'm going to buy.

I do not think Kyread does any damage. The dispersent solvent evaporates very quickly and does not appear to soften tapes. The iron particles are wiped off when you're done. If you have a tones area, you can apply removable Scotch 911 tape and actually lift off the pattern for your lab notebook.

I, too, use Kyread but I prefer the convenience of the 3M viewer -- I've replaced the humidor and it's still working fine but is degrading.

Here is my Kyread example:
http://www.geogrations.com/Academic/Flathead/History/History1.html#Develop