Re: [ARSCLIST] Hard disk drives and DAT

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

John Spencer wrote:

> George,
>
> I'm not ready to go along with the assumption that all commercial
> digital repositories charge a "per-chunk, per-time-period fee". There
> are many cost models for these types of service, based on the Service
> Level Agreement agreed to by the repository and the customer.

----- John, those were not my words, but Richard Hess'. I quoted them because
I thought that he would know more about it than I do. I merely know about
enbalming.

----- reading web posts is extremely difficult, because everybody has a
different way of quoting, snipping and commenting. So apart from putting the
reference right here I agree with the relevance of asking as you do.

> To assume "if you don't keep paying your data goes to the bit bucket
> in the sky", well, isn't the same true for gas, electricity, water,
> etc? Not quite sure I agree with the statement - and it would seem
> than anyone using an outsourced digital repository would have
> physical backups of the data somewhere else, if a proper disaster
> plan is in place.
>
> Are university systems inherently less prone to disaster?
>
> I'd like more help to understand why university repositories in
> general are superior to those in the commercial space (and have the
> implied "added value" of existing in perpetuity). [end John Spence]

Kind regards,

George