Re: [ARSCLIST] Hard disk drives and DAT

At 07:59 PM 2007-03-27, George Brock-Nannestad wrote:

Hello, George,

I will address only part of your excellent post, but I think niche markets will always be there in some form or another, but it tri-colour carbon printing or dye transfer or...but you state at the close:

The real awareness of our situation will only dawn on the general public when
they discover that they have no familiy memories any more - photographic
color prints will have faded, and nobody can reboot the family computer. So
perhaps your long time constant in the feedback loop will finally pass enough
energy that world-wide manufacture changes its course? Families would be
better off if they printed color separations of their digital images as black-
and white laserprints and kept them dry. Laserprint is more durable than many
digital audio systems we have seen.

At present, in my archive, I need to be able to deal with photographic transparencies up to 5x7 inches, photographic negatives up to 4x5 inches--I actually have some legacy glass plate negatives from my mentor which are 8x10 inches. The bulk of this is somewhere around probably 40,000 slides mostly on Ektachrome, Kodachrome, and Fujichrome, with a few Agfachromes thrown in.

(as an aside, please see what I produced from silver paper prints of tricolour separations here: http://www.pbase.com/rlhess/image/23541265 )

I also have colour and monochrome prints in albums, going back to the 1920s or before. Not all of them have appropriate metadata and there is no way to obtain it.

As to audio, I have 1/4 inch reels in 1- 2- and 4- tracks, 1/2-inch reels in 4-tracks, Dolby and dbx noise reduction, DAT, minidisc, cassettes with and without Dolby B and C, CD, a few 78s, lots of LPs and a few 45s.

If I were to properly store all of this stuff based on the appropriate standards, I would need at least one or two additional microclimates than what I have. Henry Wilhelm and Mark McCormick-Goodheart suggest building a cold room in your basement to store your family memories. A friend of mine just donated her father's war medals and his logbook (he was a WWII fighter ace) to the Canadian War Museum -- she felt better they take care of it than her niece who isn't really interested.

I actually think that I would much rather worry about the smaller physical footprint of a disk array -- even multiple disk arrays that has everything on it. Rather than learning to deal with a dozen or more technologies, you would deal with one umbrella technology.

I am encouraged by this. Yes, it's more fragile, BUT I CAN MAKE PERFECT COPIES! None of the other items can be perfectly copied (do I use the Ektachrome or the Fuji slide dupe film?).

One of my plans down the road is to get a Nikon Super Coolscan and scan a good bunch of the 40,000 slides. At 40 MB per slide -- and I'm sure I have many in-camera duplicates as I really hated duplicating and you never knew where the water drop would fall--that would require 1.6 TB. A mere drop in the bucket when I get to this.

The audio would be a few TB.

Before I leave this spinning orb, I would hope that I could have two identical RAID servers that would have each of my son's names on them and they could each take one. Then clone them in their backup systems.

It has always been a challenge to properly preserve history. I think in the digital world we can keep much more in much less space--and we can keep multiple copies.

In ten years, all of this would fit in one briefcase...now which son gets the briefcase with the new pair of DPA-4006TL mics is far more of a question <smile>.

Cheers,

Richard