To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2007 4:24 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] ARSCLIST Digest - NAB vs. DIN recordings

Hello Richard, although my experience is not from North America but from Sweden, I thought you might be interested in what I found as regards Butterfly heads.

Between 2000 and 2003 I took part in a digitizing
effort with Universal Music's archive here, and I
quote from an article I prepared for IASA: "The
Butterfly heads were predominantly CCIR (67%)
while the full-track tapes were predominantly NAB
(84%). The two-track recordings were more evenly
distributed, with 47% CCIR and 51% NAB." (Eq that
is)

This was from a selection of more than 4.300
tapes, mostly 1/4", recorded at 15 ips. For the
two-track recordings, I don't know if they were
Ampex or NAB "standard", since we had no way to
measure such small differences. We did play back
the full-track tapes with Butterfly heads and
avoided that head for the two-track tapes. Our
machines were Studer A812's.

Greetings,

Tommy

--
Tommy Sjöberg
The Centre for Swedish Folk Music and Jazz Research