Re: [ARSCLIST] Hard disk drives and DAT

Lauren,

As a short-to-medium-term storage solution--and as a part of a more comprehensive approach--multiple HDD is the best most of us can do at this point in time.

I prefer Maxtor and Western Digital drives, and I favor those that come in enclosures that offer FireWire and an on/off switch. Very vexing to have no on/off switch.

In some cases it can be more cost effective to purchase Maxtor/WD internal drives, reliable external enclosures and build them yourself. I've had good luck with the "Neptune" line of enclosures from Other World Computing (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/add-ons-and-hubs/enclosure-kits) and have heard good things about their "Mercury Elite" enclosures as well.

As others have mentioned, just like Coco Puffs are part of a complete breakfast that includes toast, juice and etc., external HDD is part of comprehensive, lower-cost storage approach that includes optical disc and linear tape.

Not all of us can swing a RAID array. Do the best you can with what you have.

best,

andy
--

Andy Kolovos