Re: [ARSCLIST] copyright and archives query

Woe is us..Vince left the archives over a year ago. Since then I've had to rely on outsiders who had access to the files in the past and kept copies for any discographical information I need. That's for BMG..for Sony (Columbia post 1934, Brunswick post 1931 et al), if it isn't jazz, fuggedaboudit.

Luckily, Decca's information has been published in books by Michel Ruppli and is reasonably complete (classical is a major black hole unfortunately).

dl

Roger and Allison Kulp wrote:
We have had some discussions with people here from label archives,and they are largely considered private property,and mostly off-limits to the public. Sony/BMG seems to be the exception,based on what I have read by John Bolig. They seem to be pretty good on allowing restricted access to the Victor archives to people doing serious historical research.You could contact either him,or Vince Giordano,at the archives,whose contact information I do not have,but others here do.

Roger

Troutman John <jtroutman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Hello:

This is my first posting to ARSClist. Unfortunately the two main questions in my first posting have probably been answered before, but I could not locate a similar question in the archive search.

I am working on a book about American Indian music and musicians in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Some of the individuals I focus on made commercial recordings and used artist names such as Chief Os-Ke-Non-Ton, Princess Watahwaso, and Chief Kiutus Tecumseh. I am publishing the book through the University of Oklahoma Press, and they have agreed to include a CD with the book, that is, if I can secure the proper copyright permissions.

The recordings that I am interested in are on the Columbia, Victor, Decca, His Master's Voice, and Gennett labels (but mostly Victor and Columbia). I have most of the matrix #s and some of the recording/ session information.

First question: I have never before attempted to secure permissions for compositions and sound recordings. Does anyone have contact information for helpful individuals at Sony, BMG, Vivendi, or whoever might today own the rights to these recordings (they were made between 1915-1935)? Would anyone who has dealt with this process before mind informing me of their experience, the cost involved, etc? I'm basically trying to do this myself and feel a little lost (and small) when I contemplate the difficulty of finding someone at those conglomerates who will work with me. And is there a website or guide out there that can trace these recordings to today's owners of the rights? Need I visit the copyright office in DC in order to determine the present ownership?

Second question: I know of the Edison archives, and the Gennett materials at Rutgers, but are the Columbia and Victor archives from this era available to the public? If so, where do they exist?

I would really appreciate any advice or information that any of you mind sharing with me.

Thanks so much in advance for your help,
John

---
John W. Troutman
Mellon Postdoctoral Fellow