Re: [ARSCLIST] "CD ripper changer"?

If you ever whip one up, please let me know. My own experience with audio and Linux has been underwhelming. As far as I know, you have to rely on the aptly-named LAME engine to do the encoding and it takes forever to rip a CD to MP3. Granted, the only time I tried this was on an old P2 machine, but the same machine back when it ran Win95 could rips a CD at 12x with no problems into MusicMatch and get perfectly OK-sounding 192k MP3.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Breneman" <david_breneman@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2007 11:18 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] "CD ripper changer"?

It would be easy to do with Linux.  I simple shell script.
You'd need some kind of tower case that could hold the CD
drives, but that's the beauty of using commodity hardware
that Apple can't match.  Alternatively, you might be able
to hook some up via USB, but speed would then be a little
bit of an issue.

David Breneman david_breneman@xxxxxxxxx

TV dinner still cooling?
http://tv.yahoo.com/