Re: [ARSCLIST] The case for message boards.

The Society of American Archivists' "Archives and Archivists" listserv switched last year to a software system that allows an interface similar to a bulletin board for those who want it, while remaining a listserv. It's not perfect, but most members have been satisfied once they got used to the interface.

If you're in the pro-message-board-camp, you can join, but not have it send emails to you, and instead go read them on the website whenever you want, and respond through the online interface rather than your email account. Non-members can read, but only list members can post and get emails. You can see it in action at http://forums.archivists.org/read/?forum=archives

The list is not moderated, but it does have a Coordinator, a member who is paid a small fee (I think it's around $1,100/year) by the SAA for his troubles.

There is a lengthy terms of participation agreement, which can be viewed at http://www.archivists.org/listservs/arch_listserv_terms.asp

I'm unaware of whether they've ever had to "enforce" the terms on a particular participant or not, but the statement "Punitive action is rare and generally follows numerous warnings and persistent disregard for these Terms of Participation" seems to indicate they have.

Just thought I'd throw this out there as an example of how another group has handed these issues.

Christie Peterson
Project Archivist, Muskie Archives & Special Collections
Bates College
70 Campus Avenue
Lewiston, ME 04240-6018
(t) 207-753-6918