Re: [ARSCLIST] Menuhin in Japan

Sorta the same but not..I don't have the Spring Sonata, Bach Partita, Sonata #1 in G (whose?). I wonder if there are more than 11? These were given (or loaned and not returned?) by Yehudi to a record producer and I got them from his son. Lovely shape, near mint, all laminated, but the album is a standard generic 12-pocket storage album.

In the same batch (and headed for the trash heap!) I found Tippett's Concerto for Double String Orchestra, privately recorded by an orchestra conducted by Walter Goehr. Here's a story about it..don't know what the reviewer was talking about, these have some of the quietest surfaces I've ever encountered on English 78s. Same material as was used for BBC transcriptions, I think.
http://www.nmcrec.co.uk/?page=tippett/conc/conc.html

dl

Roger and Allison Kulp wrote:
There are only eleven.The selections are the same,as are on both the UK Biddulph .and Japanese RCA CDs.They are:

Sonata No.1 in G minor. Sarabande from Partita No.2. Partita No.3 in E (Bach). Sonata in G minor 'Devil's Trill' (Tartini). Violin Sonata No.5 in F op.24 'Spring'. Violin Sonata No.9 in A op.47 'Kreutzer'. Hungarian Dance No.1 in G minor (Brahms). Slavonic Dance No.2 in E minor (Dvorak). Negro Spiritual Melody (Dvorak). Perpetuum Mobile (Novacek). Spanish Dance in E minor (Granados). Romanza Andalusa (Sarasate). Habanera (Sarasate). Piece en forme d'Habanera (Ravel). Segerzo Tarantelle (Wienawski). Caprice Viennois (Wienawski). Rumanian Folk Dances (Bartok).

Does yours have the binder ? I was beaten out by a dealer's picker,about nine years ago at a thrift store,that had all eleven in the album.It remains the only one I have seen.There is a very nice RCA Japan Lp transfer,from the late 50s,that I found cheap on eBay a few years back.

What is the story of how these cpoies are connected with Menhuin?

Roger

David Lennick <dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Anyone know how many 78s Yehudi Menuhin made in Japan for Victor, and when? I just acquired a nice batch of them, 11 in all..1 ten-inch single and 3 albums (2 3-disc recitals and the Kreutzer Sonata). These came from Yehudi himself, through a somewhat circuitous route.

dl

"If you're not on somebody's watchlist,you're not doing your job"

Dave Von Kleist
Bored stiff? Loosen up...