To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2007 7:35 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Public's rights....was offlist archival question from ARSC list member

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Tom Fine wrote:

Roger, it's not the "fan base's" right to hear what the artist, producer and
record company don't want to release. These are COMMERCIAL products.
You as a fan do not own the artist, you mearly
purchase the right to own and enjoy what the artist puts forward as their
art. If you don't like that, take music lessons and make better art.

----- Tom I could not agree more (although I have stricken your examples).
However, I maintain that the basis for the decision not to issue is the moral
or ideal right ("droit moral") of the artist. It only becomes a commercial
decision when the record company decides to keep it in-house. If they later
decide to issue it after all, in spite of the artis'ts objections, then they
are actually infringing the moral rights - these cannot be assigned. The
moral rights are fundamentally eternal, and not dependent on date of death
and whether you are a relative.

----- in Denmark there is a special provision for "subsequent sales" of works
of art (painting, sculpture). If it is sold at auction, the original artist
and his heirs during the copyright period will receive a fixed percentage of
the sale price. A collecting agency takes care of these matters.

Kind regards,

George