Re: [ARSCLIST] offlist archival question from ARSC list member

see end...
----- Original Message -----
From: "Andes, Donald" <Donald.Andes@xxxxxxxxxx>
> This email came to me directly, but on the behalf of others that may
> gleam something from this discussion, I figured I'd answer to the list.
>
> Hello Chris,
>
> I think a company interest is in making a profit, and they would like
> re-issue everything they believe will bring them one. Understanding
> really what that means, answers tons of questions like" Why don't they
> release ___?" "Why don't they just ___?" When you factor the costs of
> transferring, production, marketing, AND overhead, some things just
> don't add up. For example the music I really enjoy doesn't even exist on
> major labels. There's just not enough interested in it, so it remains on
> the (very) indie (often personal) labels, just like OOP music, you need
> to dig to find.
>
> Another major factor with re-releasing materials, is legal issues.
> Sometime an artist or estate can't agree on terms. Sometimes elements
> are lost, or a photographer cannot be located. If we proceed without
> crossing all the t's and dotting all the i's the whole project can be
> pulled, or worse; we can lose all profits by being sued.
>
> That said, there are some great things on every label that never made it
> to the stores in the first place (as well as things that should have
> NEVER seen the light of day). Who knows, maybe the band broke up, maybe
> the label changed direction, maybe marketing wasn't on board???? At any
> rate, that's what makes Archives such magical places.
>

> On the topic of becoming a "certified" archivist, I should mention I
> really don't know what that means, and don't know if I would want to be
> one. I myself had a deep interest in music AND audio, so I pursued a
> degree in Music Production, luckily at a time when they were teaching
> both analog and digital classes. During my schooling, I worked at 2
> different places, one creating 10,000's of digital files for sample
> libraries, which taught me the importance of metadata structures and
> standards, and the second was as a transfer engineer at a restoration
> facility called Vidipax, which was started by Jim Lindner, who is easily
> recognized as a leader in the field, but not necessarily a "Certified
> Archivist".
>
> At any rate, after working under Jim for a short while, (he left to
> start Media Matters) I became Audio Production manager. I had hands on
> experience working with almost every obsolete format of Audio, but I got
> to understand the "business" side of archiving by creating Archival
> strategies for clients such as the Met Opera, Alan Lomax, and Major
> League Baseball. This balance between technology and business sense is
> what I feel some "archivists" lose sight of. No one, including labels
> such as EMI have multi-million dollar budgets for archiving, so you have
> to understand how to prioritize assets, set achievable goals, monetize
> some assets to fund the rest, and maximize the whole production without
> [...]
Since I more or less started this thread (by asking DA what the term
"archives" meant as he used it)...I'll add my comments.

Unlike most of the people on this list...many of whom are professional
archivists, in the sense of maintaining library collection and other
actual, concrete "archives" as their position(s) and hold appropriate
graduate degrees in connected fields and/or belong to associations
other than ARSC...I am more or less an "amateur archivist."

I have a collection of over 40,000 78rpm records, which I am currently
attempting to list in several identical digital databases (differing
only in content, but using the same data record formats). One of the
primary reason I have collected these (other than enjoying their
contents...) is to collect and analyze the discographic information
which can be derived from the discs. I have some experience and
knowledge in...and a great love for...database technology, so one
of my "impossible dreams" is to assist in the development of the
ultimate discographic database (78rpm in my own case)...that is,
a digital listing of every sound recording ever issued commercially
(on 78, but others would probably try to duplicate it in other
sound formats).

In fact, another ARSCLIST subscriber, Jon Noring, has considered the
development of the same ultimate collection...except, in his case, he
would prefer the collection be of sound files...digital versions
of the recordings (of course, this latter would involve considerable
legal entanglement, since he is US-based...I'm in Canada!).

My love of discography meeting data has already resulted in a
standard discographic reference work which I compiled/authored...
"The (Almost) Complete 78rpm Record Dating Guide," which allows
record collectors (etc.) to closely estimate the dates their
records were recorded and/or sold.

Actually, that is why my first reaction to DA's original post was
"Boy, I'd like to get access to those ledgers and data with a
notebook in hand...!"

So, my archival activities are NON-professional and NON-accredited...
I suspect there exist those who would like to see me join up with
"Archivists Anonymous"...! (possibly including my long-suffering cat?!).
And, I'm making $0.00/whatever...in fact, when I can afford to BUY
more 78's, that becomes a negative figure...!