Re: [ARSCLIST] Curious--was: well, this might <snip>Questions galore !

Hello,

To directly copy and paste from at least 2 other emails I've written
today.....

Unfortunately, searching for documentation about tapes is much more
difficult that searching for tapes themselves. Also it should be
understood that no label has excellent cataloging databases for
searching "pre-computer" data such as this. It's about pulling boxes of
paperwork from vaults, and manually going through it, which takes more
time and money than you could imagine.

I'll add to this....

The archives holds masters, which do not hold any additional
A&R/Legal/Catalog/Release Info. It also holds the Finished product,
which is most often identical to the stuff in your collections.
Therefore, I don't really have direct access to information that would
answer questions beyond the recording phase of a project. I am also
contractually bound NOT to speak about which masters we have or had, are
currently on loan, or have been misplaced.

Also...

The UK, maintains it's own Archives, which is a fantastic, very well
preserved monument to all things EMI, including non-music stuff like Cat
Scan machines, Radar technology, and a bunch of other stuff that EMI
developed. I just visited that archive, as well as Abbey Roads Studio,
however, I can't really answer UK archive questions.

So...

When you figure how many labels have existed under the EMI umbrella in
the US (I guessed 100 in another email) how many things I have to look
after (rough figures exceed a million), and the massive amount of data
that existed prior to computer databases (which I'll guess started 35
years after the company was founded), it's easy to understand how you
guys know a lot more than me when it comes to the specifics of
individual releases, especially those which happened prior to 1974 (my
year of birth).

I enjoy answering questions, but if you've got a copy of finished
product in your hands when you ask a question, you're already way ahead
of me, because it will take me time to call up that item and even begin
a conversation. It should also be noted that I actually oversee many
vaults across the nation, so roaming the stacks would involve luggage
and an airplane.

I'm sorry I didn't directly answer the questions below, but I believe
responding to question with wider appeal to the list to be a better
expenditure of my time.

Thanks,

Don Andes
Director of Archives