Re: [ARSCLIST] They're still making vinyl

I've done special orders through Gemm associates with good results.

Roger and Allison Kulp wrote:
I still say eBay is the best source.Acoustic Sounds is not going to sell somebody like Jet,or Franz Ferdinand,last time I looked.

Roger

Tom Fine <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Hi Dave:

Here are a couple, both charge list or near list and both will send you a nice catalog full of eye candy:
http://store.acousticsounds.com/store.cfm
and
https://www.musicdirect.com/default.asp

Beware the "racks and racks" of audiophoolery but I've found both quick and reliable with shipping and returns/exchanges. Any returns I've had to make have been QC problems, mainly the fault of Classic Records. None of it has been the fault of the retailers but they handled customer care exactly as promised.

One of my fave used LP stores, the Bop Shop in Rochester NY, has some new LPs for sale, generally at or near list price.

As for reissue labels, I haven't had one bad experience with Analogue Productions. Their stuff is consistently great. The Classic Records mastering is usually first rate but as I've said, their manufacturing is not always (but I have always gotten un-gouged or scuffed copies in exchange, so apparently their manufacturer is capable of excellent work). Speakers Corner has an interesting and growing catalog. I was thrilled to see this record back out, from a new player in the UK, PurePleasure:
http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=15611&sct=music
my original LP was unplayable, a garage sale purchase.

Reviews have been good for Warner Music's recent LPs, but I must say that I have a hard time with the main reviewers of LPs these days, as they seem caught up in audiophoolery and myths.

My usual caveat -- there's no reason an LP should sound better than a CD except for bad or primative/early CD mastering. Almost every LP I've bought new in the last 5 years was not out on CD (either out of print or never issued) or was done horribly on CD.

-- Tom Fine

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Breneman" To: Sent: Monday, February 26, 2007 3:32 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] They're still making vinyl

--- Roger and Allison Kulp wrote:

I know I am probably the only one here,who actively collects
select "contemporary" (post-1990) rock artists,and buys vinyl
exclusively.Vinyl never went away...
So, where do you go to buy new LPs?  Do you have to order
them through the mail, or are there places you can go
to browse through them like in days of yore?

David Breneman david_breneman@xxxxxxxxx

"If you're not on somebody's watchlist,you're not doing your job"

Dave Von Kleist