Re: [ARSCLIST] DAT Archival Housing

At 10:23 PM 2007-02-19, Parker Dinkins wrote:
on 2/19/07 8:43 AM US/Central, Karl Miller at karl.miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

> I have several 32kHz DATs which sound distorted. They will not play on at all
> on my Panasonic machine, but do play (with distortion at peaks) on my Tascam.
> Is it possible that some other machine might play them without distortion?

You need a 32kHz capable machine, in the proper 32kHz mode.

AFAIK neither the SV3700 nor the SV3800 could play either of the two 32kHz
modes. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. (The 3700 has an
easily fixable squeaky door problem, incidentally.)

Hi, Parker,

I just checked the SV-3800 manual and it will play back 32 kHz tapes as well as record tapes at 32 kHz FROM THE DIGITAL INPUT. This is linear PCM 32 kHz. As I said, I have two Sony consumer machines that play back their 32 kHz LP version which is different. In fact, that's probably the reason I maintain one of the two machines is to play that format.

I don't think the Panasonic machines have any sample rate conversion in them (unlike the later CD recorders such as the Sony CDR-W33) so when you play a 32 kHz tape, you get 32 kHz out of the digital spigots. That is why I suggested going through analog and then redigitizing at 44.1 or the sample rate of your choice.

Cheers,

Richard