Re: [ARSCLIST] DAT Archival Housing

Send me one..my ancient JVC XD 2507 still plays 32K tapes with no problem including those made on the Tascam DA 20.

That's what I know I'll have to transfer before anything else..stuff I did at "archive" speed in the old days when DAT tapes cost plenty and the fidelity didn't matter, since not too many machines are going to be able to play them.

DAT tapes that drive me up the wall are the ones recorded by amateurs who didn't rewind the tape to the start, thus ensuring that no A-time code exists, and who started recording right at the start of the tape. Aside from the dropouts, you can't even add a start tone (okay, you can if you dub the whole tape to a new tape).

dl

Karl Miller wrote:
Reading the note below...
I have several 32kHz DATs which sound distorted. They will not play on at all on my Panasonic machine, but do play (with distortion at peaks) on my Tascam. Is it possible that some other machine might play them without distortion?
Karl

Parker Dinkins <parker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
One of the problems with DATs is that there is no one machine that can play
all formats. For example, there was the 32kHz LP format (12 bit) that cannot
be played on some 32kHz capable machines.