Re: [ARSCLIST] DAT Archival Housing

DAT and 8 mm tapes use in-contact helical scan heads that actually deform
the tape and penetrate the plane of the tape. This can cause excessive tape
wear. Build-up of the residue on the head can result in a redeposit of the
previously-removed coating, scratching the tape. Powerful error correction
built into the formats usually recover the information, but there is a
significant risk for the archivist.

Jerry
Media Sciences, Inc.