titles as well.

Aaron Luis Levinson

Michael Fitzgerald wrote:
At 10:35 AM 2/18/2007, Steve Smolian wrote:
Where there two Ad-Lib labels, one based in NY 6/1955 or before-1965 or so, and another, 4/1960 or earlier, 'till ? , based in California? Which was affiliated with Lenox and was it owned or distributed by them?

#1 - The 1955 New York jazz label that I know issued two items:

Let's Have A Session was AAL 5501 (10")
The New Tradition - Presenting Jackie McLean was ADL 6601 (12")

The McLean label scans that I have seen show an address as "Ad Lib Records Box 119, New York 28, N.Y." See:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jackie-McLean-The-New-Tradition-AdLib-6601-Orig-NM_W0QQitemZ110070271059QQihZ001QQcategoryZ306QQcmdZViewItem

#2 - http://rcs.law.emory.edu/rcs/labels/l/l1956.htm

includes label scans that show that Lenox was a division of Ad Lib, 157 W. 57th St., NY.

So, I have nothing relating to California, and can't say for certain whether these are two separate New York firms. If anyone knows of other Ad Lib jazz items in the 5500 or 6600 series, I'd be interested to know.

Mike

mike at jazzdiscography.com
www.jazzdiscography.com