To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2007 3:01 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] DAT Archival Housing

At 02:43 PM 2007-02-17, Farris Wahbeh wrote:
List,
Any suggestions on how to archival-ly house DAT tapes would be most helpful.
Are the plastic cases that they come with archival-ly sound? What are some boxes that can be used
to house the tapes? Has anyone come across a box that fits both DAT and CD's together?
I can't seem to find any in the Gaylord catalog.

That's because they and the machines they play on are not archival. The only archival way of storing a DAT tape IMHO is to transfer it to a digital repository or a gold phthalocyanine dye CD-R, with the former method preferred. DATs are living on borrowed time. THey are far more fragile than analog open reel and fewer machines were produced (I think) and few if any machines are being made now...just like open reel in a much shorter timeframe.

Cheers,

Richard