Re: [ARSCLIST] Using desiccant with audio recordings

I'll echo Bob's comments..I've stored 78s in unheated garages for 20 years. the only damage that has ever occurred has been when boxes of 78s were on the concrete and snow or moisture seeped in, when there was a leaky roof at one point, or when a feral cat managed to sneak in and knock one pile of 78s over.

Bob and I are both familiar with a radio station collection that was stored for several years in a shed, on a low lying property in Syracuse, where many of the elements were at play through cracks in the wall, broken windows etc. Some 78s in one area suffered heat damage (the sleeves appeared to be burnt into the discs) but there was very little other degradation. I took a few thousand records out of that place. Vinyl, shellac and laminated pressings are all in good shape and have been used for CD reissues.

dl

Roger and Allison Kulp wrote:
Hi Bob,

<sarcasm>Do tell</sarcasm>.I had a terrible experience a few years back,where my 78s were in an unheated room for most of one winter.I came back in the spring,and lost at least a dozen to breakage,and I never touched them.Among them,one of the records from my Siemens Von Karajan set,my Ray Charles "Kissa Me Baby",on Swing Time,and my Argentine Decca "El Rocko",by Bill Haley.Do they expand and contract or something ?

Roger

Robert Hodge <rjhodge@xxxxxxx> wrote: Hello Barbara,

I have worked with large collections of shellac discs stored in
unheated
outbuildings. As long as critters are kept out of them and they remain
dry, they never audibly degrade !! At least that's my experience.

Of course, cold shellac or wax is extremely prone to breakage due to
brittleness !! Double that for wax amberol cylinders !!

The dessicant would be a good idea for wax cylinders. But then I wouldn't store wax cylinders or shellac anywhere where I
myself could not live !!

Bob Hodge

mrichter@xxxxxxx 2/13/2007 3:17 PM >>>