Re: [ARSCLIST] Storing 16" transcription discs

>2. Is anyone familiar with foil-lined sleeves? I have not seen any
imprinting or other problems with the discs, but is there concern
of outgassing or any other problems?

Marcos,

These may be a type of sleeve known as the "shield pack".  As far as I know
they have been discontinued not because the sleeves off-gassed but, because
they inhibited air exchange (i.e. created a micro-environment)and seemed to
in fact accelerate the degradation of lacquered discs, which of course do
off-gas.

I seem to recall that they were developed at least in part by the Library
of Congress and, if that's so, someone from LC could probably give you a
more complete history.

Best,

Danny

Daniel Sbardella
The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts
40 Lincoln Center Plaza
New York, NY  10023

212.870.1609