Re: [ARSCLIST] Listening Copy

We began our digital audio storage program with the traditional
"reference CD" as
our means for user and office accessibility. As the walls and shelves
overfilled with hard-to-label CDs we quickly realized (with the help and
persistence of Marcos Suero) that the storage capability of CDs was
being
severely undercut by the new capacities and cost-efficiencies of
hard-drive storage systems. At the moment we use hard-drive storage and
retrieval methods for all our audio storage (WAVs - 24/96 and 16/44.1;
MP3s) - we maintain CD / DVD preservation copies of the original 24/96
transfer and analog (1/4 inch reel) preservation copies as physical
storage. The ease of delivery via hard-drive storage is not only useful
for end-users; we are finding that these options also allow the ease to
share material in large quantities with collaborating repositories.

On a local network, users can be served sound files of various
(depending upon necessity) qualities at listening stations (as many as
your institution can afford or maintain. The question we are tackling
is "what is the best method to deliver accompanying metadata to the
user?"

Bertram

Project Manager / Dissemination Coordinator
Association for Cultural Equity
Alan Lomax Archive
450 West 41st Street, Room 606
New York, NY 10036