Re: [ARSCLIST] Despite lawsuits, digital music downloads grow

At 05:10 PM 2007-02-09, David Lennick wrote:
Not even remotely good English..the quote said "monetize that audience". We're dealing with morons, people.

mon·e·tize (mn-tz, mn-)
tr.v. mon·e·tized, mon·e·tiz·ing, mon·e·tiz·es
1. To establish as legal tender.
2. To coin (money).
3. To convert (government debt) from securities into currency that can be used to purchase goods and services.

You have provided the traditional definition (and the 2nd ed. of the Canadian Oxford Dictionary is similar), but MBA schools (I first heard this from a Northwestern MBA candidate about 5-6 years ago) also means "To turn anything into money", as stated below.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~alandear/glossary/m.html

The way it might be used is in a business meeting, "That's a great idea, but how do we monetize it?"

Different disciplines develop their own vocabulary. I'm sure an MBA wouldn't understand about a stylus to play a stamper...I'm not sure they are morons, they are just using their own vertical culture as we all do.

With all that said, I don't like the concept that everything has to be monetized, but now we are way off-topic and I'll shut up.

Cheers,

Richard