Re: [ARSCLIST] interesting!

Marcos suggestion is already happening in the publishing business, wherein authors are doing their own independent "publishing". The big publishers are / have become only printing companies, requiring authors to spend their own money for promotions. Having to do that, why not just do it anyway and get the lion's share of the price instead of 10% or less.
Between publishers, distributors and bookstores 78% or more of the price of a book is shared by them, not the author...and it takes years to get noticed by them, if ever. Even for those who publish their own material they have to pay 55-78% of the price to some distributors like Baker and Taylor (so they can give 30% discounts to libraries.)

In addition big publishers are only making enough copies for such buyers as Barnes and Noble and Borders thus making the works unavailable to independent bookstores.

Is it no wonder then that publishers are having to merge, consolidate and use backlists? The same is happening to music recordings, and it's probably time it did. Authors and Artists should have more say about income as well as distribution.

Trescott Research – Paul T. Jackson

Information & Library Development

26301 SE 424^th St., Enumclaw, WA 98022

http://www.trescottresearch.com <http://www.trescottresearch.com/>

Marcos Sueiro wrote:
I'm going to get whipped for this, but I'll say it anyway: I don't see what is so terrible if large large record companies simply disappear. Music has been around much longer than the recording industry, so I do not think that the quality of music itself would suffer. And certainly there must be other business models for musicians to make a living without having to feed a huge machine that often sucked their blood, especially now that the means to record music are available to so many. Big Music generated lots of money for over a century, but only a very small proportion of all musicians saw that money. Perhaps Big Music is just not good for music anymore.

Marcos

Tom Fine wrote:
So, even though I'm no fan of Big Music, they have a point in all of this. If the owners of the copyright material -- descendants of those who put up money to record the old stuff and current funders of new material -- cannot get a return on their investment, they do not have a business model. So in that case nothing can be made available because it's a money-losing proposition and companies are not in business to lose money.