Re: [ARSCLIST] Civil War recordings

Somewhere buried in my collection is a record by an ordinary civil war soldier. It's probably 1948 or so, 2s 10", a pale yellow label, privately pressed. He speaks on it. That's all I recall about it Since it was pressed, there must be other copies around.

Steve Smolian

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Seubert" <seubert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, February 05, 2007 9:25 PM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Civil War recordings

I received the email below (below) that I can't answer. Does anybody know if there are other Civil War soldiers besides Polk Miller who later made recordings?

An interesting question. Reply to me or the list and I will forward to the individual.

David Seubert
UCSB

------------------

Sir,

You have several recordings by Polk Miller. Miller, a great favorite of Mark Twain, and a now all but forgotten once major American musician, may be best remembered for the pet products he produced for his dog "Sergeant." "Sergeant's" is still a best selling brand after over a century.

Miller was a Confederate soldier, took his banjo along to war, and served in the same Batteries as my great grandfathers.
You have a copy of his singing "The Bonnie Blue Flag"; which with "Dixie" comprised The South's two most popular National Songs.

Surely he played this song hundreds of times in camp (See Ted Turner's cameo comment in *Gods and Generals.),* along the road to Gettysburg etc. Surely my ancestors, whose saving his obituary etc. reflects a friendship, heard him regularly. .
It brings The War close to today.
But I wonder is this the only surviving rendition of one of the two major Southern hymns, by a Confederate Soldier?
Is this the only surviving recording of a Civil War Song made by a participant on either side?

There are millions of relics of The War, but I never thought there would be an audible one.

Thanks.