Re: [ARSCLIST] Civil War recordings

There are quite a lot of recordings,mostly cylinders,here are two;

Recollections of 1861-65 (Trumpet Solo), performed by Edna White
   Edison 80613-R, recorded 1921
   RealAudio version of this recording.
   WAV version of this recording.  There were many Civil War veterans among the audience members of American variety shows,   and the selections played here would have been familiar to all.  The Edison Company catalog,   circa 1927, comments not only on the music, but also the novelty of the recording artist:   "Not   many women play the trumpet, and for this reason alone "Recollections of 1861-65" will arouse   a great deal of curiosity.  Some years ago, concert goers were given a new thrill by a female   quartet of trumpet players, headed by Miss Edna White, who was a pioneer in the field of such   music.  Her trumpeters wore white robes and reminded one of Fra Angelico's angels.  This record   is a special arrangement of famous bugle calls, together with some of the songs associated with   the war between the States.  Following is their order:   Adjutant's Call,'  Just Before the Battle,   Mother,'  Mess Call,'  When Johnny Comes Marching Home,'  Assemble Call,'  We'er
 Tenting   To-night,' and  Taps.'
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/vshtml/vssnde.html

       Visit of General Nelson A. Miles 12-28-1914
       Spoken by: General Nelson A. Miles
       Remarks during his visit at the Edison Laboratory, West Orange, New Jersey.
       Recording date: December 28, 1914
       Record format: white color Edison Blue Amberol cylinder record (unissued)
       NPS object catalog number: EDIS 5062
       ** Historical note: Nelson A. Miles was a Major General of Volunteers for the Union Army during the Civil War. In 1886 he led the defeat of Apache leader Geronimo. He was Commander of United States Army during the Spanish-American War.
         http://www.nps.gov/edis/edisonia/documentary.htm

Paul Tyler <ptyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Col. John Pattee, a fiddler from Michigan, recorded two sides in  1924.  Google his name.  There was a great family website  that featured photos of his vaudeville tour of Civil War  fiddlers.  A couple of other fiddlers who may have been veterans  were Henry Gilliland of Oklahoma, who recorded in 1922 (with Eck  Robertson), and Capt. Moses Bonner of Texas in 1924 or 25.  Two  sides each.

  Paul Tyler

David Seubert  wrote:  I received the email below (below) that I can't answer. Does anybody
know if there are other Civil War soldiers besides Polk Miller who later
made recordings?

An interesting question. Reply to me or the list and I will forward to
the individual.

David Seubert
UCSB

------------------

Sir,

You have several recordings by Polk Miller.   Miller, a great favorite
of Mark Twain, and a now all but forgotten once major American
musician,  may be best remembered for the pet products he produced for
his dog "Sergeant."  "Sergeant's" is still a best selling brand after
over a century.

Miller was a Confederate soldier, took his banjo along to war, and
served in the same Batteries as my great grandfathers.

You have a copy of his singing "The Bonnie Blue Flag"; which with
"Dixie"  comprised  The South's two most popular National Songs.

Surely he  played this song hundreds of times in camp (See Ted Turner's
cameo comment in *Gods and Generals.),*   along  the road to Gettysburg
etc.  Surely my ancestors, whose saving his obituary etc. reflects a
friendship,  heard him regularly. .

It brings The War close to today.

But I wonder is this the only surviving rendition of one of the
two major Southern hymns, by a Confederate Soldier?
Is this the only surviving recording of a Civil War Song made by a
participant on either side?

There are millions of relics of The War, but I never thought there would
be an audible one.

Thanks.

"If you're not on somebody's watchlist,you're not doing your job"

                          Dave Von Kleist