Re: [ARSCLIST] Harry Carney

On 04/02/07, phillip holmes wrote:
> Someone on this list probably has encyclopedic knowledge of Duke
> Ellington. In all my Ellington stuff, I can only think of two records
> with solos by Harry Carney. Any recommendations?

A full answer would need many hours of pleasant research.

I think the main reason there are fewer featured solos by Carney than by
most other Ellington regulars is the same as why there are many more violin
concertos than cello concertos - it is easier to have the melody line on
a higher instrument and keep the lower ones for harmony.

There are however plenty of short solos by Carney in performances that
include a string of solos. Several such are on the "Complete Legendary
Fargo Concert" (Definitive label).

Carney was often featured on "Sophisticated Lady", ending with a gimmick
long held note done with circular breathing. For instance, on the
broadcast/interview "Ellington at Basin Street East" (Music and Arts).

A quick trawl of my Ellington shelf turns up "La Plus Belle Africaine"
on the superb 2-CD pack "The English Concerts" and "Didjeridoo" on the
album "Afro-Eurasian Eclipse" from 1971.

I'm sure there are more, but of course nowhere near as many as for
Hodges or Gonsalves.

Regards
--
Don Cox