Re: [ARSCLIST] Reminder: Written Comments Sought for Rec Sd Preservation Study, add-on Canadian project

This reminds me of something I received the other day from Canadian music writer Larry LeBlanc about a Canadian project worth mentioning:

The Audio-Visual Preservation Trust of Canada is inviting submissions for its
new book, tentatively titled Vanishing Media.

This book will celebrate the tenth anniversary of the AV Trust, a national, non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation of and improvement of access to Canada's audio-visual heritage. Vanishing Media will examine works (films, television programs, and audio recordings) that have been lost because little, if any, attention was paid to their preservation.

Because the history of audio-visual production in Canada is not very well
documented, the richness and variety of these missing works is largely unknown.
Vanishing Media is an attempt to rectify the situation.

We are looking for one hundred entries of one thousand words (or less) each by professionals in audiovisual production, academics, and cultural

custodians. Each entry will profile and include an image of an individual
work that is no longer available. We have included two sample chapters

o-n our website here:

<http://www.avtrust.ca/docs/THE%20GREAT%20SHADOW.pdf>The Great Shadow.PDF

Sadly, there are hundreds of choices. For example, the Library & Archives catalogue lists

1222 Canadian feature films for the years 1913-1985, but their collection
contains a mere 440. Even new works are disappearing, an unfortunate indicator
that audio-visual producers are often unaware of the problem of Vanishing Media.

Our immediate goal is to raise public awareness of the need to act now to ensure that the productions of today are available to future generations. And, if the publication of this book results in the resurfacing of even one "disappeared" work, Vanishing Media will have been a great success!

We ask that you submit your stories and images (print-quality) by August 31, 2006 to <mailto:info@xxxxxxxxxx>info@xxxxxxxxxxx

We look forward to reading your submissions. To learn more about the AV Trust, its activities, and membership opportunities, please visit our

website at <http://www.avtrust.ca/>www.avtrust.ca.

Megan McLeod

Office Administrator/Directrice de bureau

The AV Preservation Trust.ca / Le trust pour la préservation de l’AV.ca

Ph./Fax (613) 564-3232 / Tél./téléc. (613) 564-3232

Email: megmcleod@xxxxxxxxxx / Courriel : megmcleod@xxxxxxxxxx

Web Site: www.avtrust.ca / Site Web: www.trustav.ca

Stephen C Leggett wrote:
I posted this earlier but the deadline is now approaching so here is a reminder along with some newly requested information.
As mandated by Public Law 106-474, The Librarian of Congress, in consultation with the National Recording Preservation Board, is conducting a study on the current state of recorded sound preservation and restoration in the United States. To gather information for the study, the Librarian held two public hearings: November 29, 2006 in Los Angeles, and December 19, 2006 in New York City. We also actively seek written comments and that deadline is January 31, 2007. The "Notice of Inquiry" (links below) provides supplemental information about the study, the written submission process, along with contact information. This can be found online at:
http://www.loc.gov/rr/record/nrpb/nrpb-clir.html
http://www.loc.gov/rr/record/nrpb/

***Updated request for information****
In particular, we actively written responses to the following three questions: [1] How are archives, libraries and university libraries tracking what they have in their collections? If they don't know what they have, what systems or models would they use to compile this information and what sort of support would they see as necessary to accomplish it? [2] In the absence of resources to process or preserve sound recordings, are institutions withholding information about what they have? [3] There's relative consensus on the percentage of motion pictures that have been lost, for whatever reason, and knowledge about specific losses. Can anyone provide to the board anecdotal, but verifiable, evidence or accounts of specific sound recordings of socio-cultural value that are already lost?
Written comments should be submitted by January 31, 2007 via email to study coordinator Rob Bamberger rbamberger@xxxxxxxxxxx with a cc to Steve Leggett sleg@xxxxxxx
The study, along with submitted written comments and public hearing transcripts, will be provided to Congress.
Best, Steve Leggett

Steve Leggett, Program Coordinator
National Film Preservation Board
National Recording Preservation Board
Library of Congress (4690)
MBRS Division
Washington, D.C. 20540
p: 202/707-5912
f: 202/707-2371
email: sleg@xxxxxxx
WWW: http://www.loc.gov/film/
http://www.loc.gov/rr/record/nrpb/
Also visit the Web site of our charitable
affiliate, the National Film Preservation Foundation at
http://www.filmpreservation.org