Re: [ARSCLIST] Looking for Recordings of Agricultural Weather Reports

In upstate New York there was a Rural Radio Network comprised of a half-dozen stations which
existed to provide farmers with weather and market reports. Centered in Ithaca NY, it began broadcasts
Summer 1948, and ended in the early 1960's. There are some extant recordings.
I will send you a file of information I culled from the internet (off list)- might give you some leads.....
Best wishes, Thomas.

George, Stephanie wrote:

Hello all:

I'm currently curating an exhibit focused on Orange County [California]
agriculture and pre-WWII Japanese American farmers. I'm trying to
locate some recordings of "frost" or weather reports that were typically
broadcast for agricultural areas (for example: suggesting that smudge
pots be lit in the evenings to keep citrus warm throughout the night).
I'm afraid they were probably rather ephemeral in nature so I don't know
if any still exist. If we had a model (another geographical area and/or
text) perhaps, we could recreate an audio recording ourselves.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance. Please feel free to contact me off list.

Stephanie George

Collections Curator

Center for Oral and Public History

California State University, Fullerton