Re: [ARSCLIST] Classical recordings guide

----- Original Message -----
From: "D. Blake Werts" <bwerts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> More accurate information regarding Dave Canfield and his "Guide":<snip>

What we need ("We" here meaning myself any any other shellac accumulators
with the same obsessive interest in discographic detail...!) is a sort of
classical-78 equivalent to Brian Rust's ADBD and JR!

Oddly enough, the first 90-95% of such a work would be fairly easy to
compile, since only Victor and Columbia recorded and issued classical
recordings in any number...and both sets of ledgers still survive. I
suspect most of the data for Brunswick still exists as well? Decca
did issue some European-sourced classical sides (mainly from Odeon/
Parlophone, iirc)...so there are two problem areas:

1) Early independent labels (Vocalion, plus some smaller ones) who
did issue a handful of classical discs, usually early in their history...

2) Any c.1936-c.1953 "indie" labels that issued classical material;
i.e. Musicraft (pre-WWII) and possibly a few others...

Anybody know of any other significant sources (excluding Edison, for
which extensive original data also exists) that I may have omitted?!

Steven C. Barr
(note that the above refers to 78rpm records, not microgroove records
made during the "78 era"...)