Re: [ARSCLIST] Classical recordings guide

Hello All,

More accurate information regarding Dave Canfield and his "Guide":  The 2000
edition is the 5th (and last printed) edition of the "Canfield Guide to
Classical Recordings".  Late 2005 Dave provided a new "edition" of sorts
called "Classical Reference.com" (http://www.classicalreference.com)  This
is a subscription-based, on-line classical record database that is MUCH
easier to use, and quicker for that matter.  In short, Dave has provided
everything that made up the 2000 (5th) edition of the printed version, along
with data from his sales after the 5th edition guide went to print.  When I
last talked with Dave about the subject, there were future plans to
incorporate the Mikrokosmos sales in the database as well.

Since it was mentioned, Dave and Peter Fulop (of Mikrokosmos) merged
businesses in mid-2005 to form Ars Antiqua/Mikrokosmos
(http://mikrokosmos.com) where Peter is handling all of the retail aspects
of the business while Dave continues to do much of the buying.  This has
given Dave back some much needed time to pursue his other "projects" that
he's long wanted to do--including composing, etc....

There was also a response that a 2006 edition was available on eBay--this is
not Dave's work.  This is a completely different type of guide published and
sold by a group in the United Kingdom (Sylverwood Publishing).  This guide's
primary focus is on those labels/series that have been deemed the most
desirable of the golden age of classical LPs released in the UK.

Hope this helps!
D. Blake Werts