Re: [ARSCLIST] Shostakovich, was Re: [ARSCLIST] early CD bashing

MG 10021 was an LP..the Silvertones appeared much earlier as 78s.

dl

Karl Miller wrote:
On the subject of the Leinsdorf recordings, a friend supplied the following information...
Karl
I do know something about the Leinsdorf recordings. They are not the RPO or Eastman-Rochester Orchestra but the Silvertone Symphony Orchestra which was a Chicago freelance group put together for these recordings. The four titles (Mendelssohn:Nocturne from MSND, Ravel: Pavane for a Dead Princess, Mozart: Impressario Overture, Tchaikovsky: Romeo and Juliet) first appeared on Mercury MG 10021 and was apparently licensed to other labels. I have a Hollywood record with Leinsdorf, Henry Weber, and Georges Enesco which contains some of those titles plus others, but the orchestra on the jacket is called the Chicago Philharmonic Orchestra. This could have very well been the same as the Silvertone SO since the CPO was a freelance orchestra too. The discographic info comes from The Mercury Labels: A Discography (Vol. 4) by Michel Ruppli and Ed Novitsky.