Re: [ARSCLIST] Classical record review media

----- Original Message -----
From: "phillip holmes" <insuranceman@xxxxxxxxxx>
> If you are interested in Hi-Fi rags, most of them still run classical
> reviews.  "Hi-Fi+" devotes significant space on classical music.  I
> think "The Absolute Sound" still does, but my subscription lapsed a
> while back (they also spent considerable time on movie music).
>
> Steven Smolian wrote:
> > I'm assembling a list of surviving classical record review magazines, papers
that run classical music reviews, blogs, etc. for a client. This includes the US
foreign language press and magazines of all countries. I'm less interested in
publications that have only long articles focussing on one or two releases, such
as The New Yorker.)

> > Here is what I've come up with to start
> >
> > Magazines:
> > ARSC Journal
> > Classic Record Collector
> > Fanfare
> > Gramophone
> > Notes
> > Opera (vocal)
> > Opera News (vocal)
> > Record Collector (the classsical vocal one)
> > Strad (string playing)
> >
> > Significant newspapers that review classical CDs:  (I'm not sure of the
names) (Significant means there is a large enough readership that a positive
response will result in a measurable increase in sales.)

> > Aufbau (do they still do record reviews?)
> > Chicago Times
> > Christian Science Monitor
> > New York Times
> > Los Angeles Times
> > Village Voice (do they still do classical reviews?
> > Washington Post
> > Washington Blade (Can others supply the named of gay-oriented papers in
other cities?)

> > Radio:
> > NPR
> > WBJC (Baltimore)
> >
> > Net:
> > Amazon.com
> > Music on the Web
> >
> > Additions to and comments about the above list are welcomed.
> >
> > Steve Smolian

The Toronto Star usually reviews at least on classical CD in its
Thursday "What's On" entertainment section. Also, Stereo Review
(or whatever it has evolved into?) as well as other audio magazines
usually review classical as well as pop recordings. It might also
be worthwhile to do a web search for sites...?!