Re: [ARSCLIST] Microcassettes

I've done microcassette transfers using desktop machines with variable
playback speed.  As I recall, these were Dictaphone units that are often
available on ebay at reasonable cost.

Usually the speed control doesn't have enough range to go 2x, but if you are
technically adept (or know someone how is), you can use an adjustable
variable (regulated) power supply connected directly to the motor circuit to
get the unit to run 2x.  This makes the transfers go a lot faster.  These
machines typically have enough bandwidth to make a 2x recording (sample-rate
reduced on a digital workstation) as good as a real-time transfer if your
client has lots of tapes and a budget that does not allow real-time dubbing.

While you are in there, you can modify the machines to disable record mode.

-dave