Re: [ARSCLIST] Wired: One Giant Screwup for Mankind

Hi, Jim,

I am pretty sure that there is no RF. It would be called "FM" but I'm 97% sure that these are "Direct" or AM instrumentation recordings, not FM as the bandwidth generally wouldn't be available in FM. It's 500 kHz bandwidth on the tape -- and I mis-spoke. Two adjacent pixels going from black to white is a half cycle, not a full cycle, so 500 kHz is the system bandwidth, assuming square pixels of a 320 line 10 fps (assuming progressive) video signal.

Hopefully, there is a timecode (IRIG probably) on the tape that could be used as a control track for flutter compensation/time base correction.

Remember, this is video, but not recorded on a video tape recorder. Other channels presumably record medical telemetry. Larry Miller on the Ampex list worked on instrumentation recorders and indicated that they were sold in the multiple 100s of thousands of dollars in the 1960s...they were essentially one-offs and very high tech.

Cheers,

Richard

Cheers,

Richard