[ARSCLIST] Microcassettes

We've begun to receive some interviews on microcassettes, so I'm looking
for advice on playback machines. Our immediate goal is to review the
material on the microcassettes for content and sound quality and make a
serviceable reference copy.  As far as I can tell, most machines do not
have an output, other than a headphone jack. We do not foresee using the
playback machine for either recording or transcribing; however, if the
transcription machines offer better quality sound and have an output,
then perhaps that is what we should consider.

Just as an FYI, I've already spoken to Richard Hess about his process
for transferring microcassettes, and certainly for long term
preservation we will consider other options. But at the moment, we just
need to be able to evaluate the content.

Thanks-

Brenda

Brenda Nelson-Strauss

Head of Collections

Archives of African American Music and Culture

Indiana University

Smith Research Center, Suite 180

Bloomington, IN 47408

812-855-7530