Re: [ARSCLIST] early CD bashing

David Lennick <dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: They could still turn out a decent recording once in a while. Stokowski doing
an extended Suite from "Carmen" was one of his last. It came out briefly on CD
and now can't be found (which is too bad because my copy was stolen). Yes,
"mushy" describes a lot of Columbia LPs as well. And then there was their habit
of mixing ancient tapes with new ones to pad out compilations (by Ormandy,
Kostelanetz etc) and sometimes even throwing in a fake stereo track without
going out of their way to reveal it.

Hey, I like the Shostakovich 7th. Especially Steinberg's performance (yup, on
Musicrap 78s).

dl
Give a listen to the 1953 Mravinsky sometime.Or the Toscanini,from 1947.I have Toscanini's on the noncommercial Studio and Arts 78 set.It's out there on a CD somewhere.The only stereos I like as well,is the later Mravinsky stereo (1978 I think.),and the 1968 EMI/Melodia one,by Gennady Rozhdestvensky.These four are my favorite recordings.                                                                            Roger Kulp