Re: [ARSCLIST] Jack Benny

--- luisa miranda <lumiranda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm working on an oral history project and Jack Benny, the movie
> star,  is relevant to our project.

If Jack Benny is any *one* thing, it's a radio star.  Maybe
*the* radio star.  His film career is spotty and he never
really liked doing television

>  Does anyone know where I can
> obtain a royalty free sound bite of his old radio or tv show in
> which he and/or his sidekick, Rochester, mentions "arriving to
> Anaheim, Azusa and Cucamonga."

Try this web site:

http://benny.crispy.com/

They have a large number of Jack Benny episodes in mp3
format with synopses that can be searched.  For instance,
episode number 534, aired January 7, 1945:

Jack visits the vault to get money for his train ride to New York.
Rochester tells Jack how he has packed Jack's toupees, then Larry
Stevens stops by to go through the song he will sing in New York.
Phil calls and is not packed yet because his laundry is not back yet,
so Jack tells Rochester to put a rush on Phil's shirts. A man stops
to ask Jack if he can rent his house while he is gone, and after some
debate, Jack agrees. Pauline, Mary's maid, comes over to tell Jack
that Mary will meet him at the station, as she is sick with a cold.
Don calls to tell Jack that he lost the money Jack gave him for
tickets, but it turns out to be a practical joke. At the train
station, the announcer repeatedly calls the boarding notice for
Anaheim, Azusa and Cucamonga, becoming more frustrated each time
because no one is boarding the train. Jack gets train advice from a
racetrack tout. First appearance of the vault, the racetrack tout,
and Anaheim, Azusa and Cucamonga bits.

(BTW the "racetrack tout" is Sheldon Leonard - this was really
an all-star eposide.)

David Breneman         david_breneman@xxxxxxxxx