Re: [ARSCLIST] early CD bashing

I snatch up Columbia promo copies whenever I see them. The classical promo copies are especially good, compared to the regular issues, even though the Columbia classical sound doesn't measure up to RCA, Mercury, EMI and Decca standards--mostly because of EQ decisions made--house sound?--the tapes and CD reissues sound much better than the LPs. The cream of the crop, IMO, of classical records, produced domestically, are the Mercury Living Presence radio promo copies. Outstanding in every way. Recorded by some guy named Bob Fine, mastered by Piros, pressed at the RCA Indianapolis plant from the first master/mother/stampers. First rate!
Phillip

Bob Olhsson wrote:

It must be remembered that the very first pressings were always the principal sales tool for selling additional copies! The pressings were better (The VERY best pressings I ever encountered were RCA and Columbia DJ copies) and the early masters were rarely cut from "eq. production masters" which have been the source for many CD reissues.