Re: [ARSCLIST] Libraries disposing of records

Richard,
I don't disagree with any point you make. I've heard more poorly mastered disks than good. I know a couple vinyl mastering guys, and even when they do a great job, the plating and pressing can and will let them down on many occasions. A really good record is a miracle. I do have outstanding CDs (mostly not reissues) that are as involving as the best vinyl. On the other hand, I've heard 2nd generation master tapes at 15IPS, and even with the hiss and compression, they can crush 33 1/3 vinyl and regular CD. They have something very natural that I can't put a finger on. The dynamic range seems to be in more gradual steps, instead of soft/medium/loud. In comparison, the CD and LP makes things crunchy or grainy sounding. Phillip