From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of eugene hayhoe
Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2007 10:45 AM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Libraries

Steve, thanks for the WSJ article on libraries. I know I've bought many
discarded books for a dime at the Michigan State University Library that I
coudn't believe they were getting rid of, and books that would be a lot
harder to get one's hands on than anything by Hemingway, the Brontes, etc.

Though I guess I'm glad that they put them someplace where I could buy
them for a dime instead of shipping them off to the local rare book dealer,
it still seemed to me to be a pretty culturally irresponsible for the
keepers of the 'collective memory' to do. But then again, as the WSJ article
points out, most people could care less. How many Americans these days even
care about things like history, especially accurate, fact-based history
(instead of 'docu-drama ready' history? (I'm aware that it is unlikely that
many people on this list share that predeliction).

Anyway, to get the topic back on topic:

Anyone know anything about this place?

http://www.arcmusic.org/begin.html

I and several of my friends have long wondered what to do with collections
that we would prefer not to have broken up when we're no longer around to
enjoy them, but have a basic distrust of libraries & the like for precisely
the reasons given in the WSJ article. Further, many 'academics'
(thankfully, not all) prefer their comfort zones of assumption to actually
doing research based on genuine historical materials and hence would have no
interest in old records, as many of you know.

So my questions are 2:

1. Anyone know anything about ARCmusic.org and their physical facility and
practices?

2. What is the best thing to do if one wishes that after their decease the
music and audio content of their collections can be made available to the
general public, hopefully for free?
I've long fantasized about opening a 'music library,' but have long since
given up hope that I would ever be able to finance such a thing myself, even
though I think that it could be viable, even on a 'business model' if
sufficient capital were available...

Gene