Re: [ARSCLIST] laserdisc

David Breneman wrote:
--- Aaron Z Snyder <azs@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Whoopee!! is the best-preserved example of a 100% two-color
Technicolor film
I've ever seen. Most of them have very limited color range, and
after seeing
Whoopee! I'm now convinced that the phenomenon was due more to
fading than
the deficiencies of only two colors. It definitely deserves DVD
treatment.

"Whoopie!" has been shown occasionally on TCM. I got a decent Hi-8 copy of it off that channel before our cable company began compressing the hell out of the signal. Although the primaries used in 2-strip Technicolor reproduce flesh tones quite well, there is no way to produce blue. Look at all those greenish-gray Palm Springs skies in the opening of "Whoopie!" and you can see the deficiency. But the main thing that killed two-strip Technicolor was a quality control problem. The lab was so rushed with orders that they started sending out films with registration problems, color fading, and other defects caused by rushed production. The films produced eyestrain, and soon black and while was a selling point for films.

David Breneman david_breneman@xxxxxxxxx

Meanwhile, Canada is finally getting TCM and AMC in February. I've only been waiting for a decade and a half for the Canadian cable industry to get sensible about this situation (and Rogers Digital, for all my ranting about the idiots who work for that company and the impossibility of dealing with anyone with an IQ higher than a cheeseball, delivers a great signal).

dl